What is aluminum extrusion, and how is it manufactured? In which parts of the industry is it suitable for?
Aluminum extrusion is a common metal processing method used to manufacture aluminum alloy products with complex shapes, high strength, and lightweight characteristics. This process involves applying pressure to aluminum alloy billets or profiles and shaping them into the desired cross-sectional shape using a die.
The process of aluminum extrusion includes the following steps:
- Aluminum alloy billets：First, suitable aluminum alloy materials are selected, commonly including the 6000 series (such as 6061 and 6063) and 7000 series (such as 7075). These alloys possess good extrudability and strength.
- Preheating：The aluminum alloy billets are preheated before the extrusion process to enhance their plasticity and reduce deformation resistance. The preheating temperature varies based on the alloy type.
- Extrusion：Preheated aluminum alloy billets are placed in a machine called an extrusion press. This machine applies high pressure to the billet, forcing it to pass through a specially designed die. The shape of the die determines the final cross-sectional shape of the extruded profile.
- Cooling：Once the aluminum alloy passes through the die, it is cooled to solidify its shape. Cooling can be done using water or air.
- Cutting and finishing：The extruded aluminum profiles are cut to the desired length and undergo necessary processes such as cutting, drilling, machining, and surface treatments like polishing, anodizing, or painting.
Aluminum extrusion finds widespread industrial applications, particularly in the following areas:
- Industrial equipment and machinery：Aluminum extrusion can be used for frames, structural supports, transmission components, etc., in industrial equipment. They offer high strength and corrosion resistance.
- Automotive and transportation：Aluminum extrusion is extensively used in the automotive industry for applications such as vehicle body structures, engine components, doors, window frames, etc. They help in reducing vehicle weight and improving fuel efficiency.
- Electronics and electrical：Aluminum extrusion products find application in the electronics and electrical field for heat sinks, enclosures, brackets, etc. Aluminum's high thermal conductivity and lightweight properties make it a suitable choice.
- Construction and architecture：Aluminum extrusion products can be used in building structures, window frames, doors, door frames, staircase handrails, etc. They offer advantages such as lightweight, weather resistance, and design flexibility.
In summary, aluminum extrusion is a manufacturing process of shaping aluminum alloys by extruding them through a die, and it finds applications in various industrial sectors such as construction, automotive, electronics, and machinery.
Aluminum extrusions are divided into several series, and the main differences lie in the following aspects:
Aluminum extrusion materials are typically represented by numeric series, such as 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8 series. These numeric series represent different alloy compositions and properties.
- 2 Series: The 2 series aluminum extrusion materials are primarily based on pure aluminum, such as AA 2011, AA 2014, and AA 2219. These materials have good formability and high strength, making them suitable for applications with high formability requirements, such as screws, connectors, and automated machinery.
- 4 Series: The 4 series aluminum extrusion materials have copper as their main alloying element, such as AA 4032 and AA 4043. These materials have excellent formability and corrosion resistance, along with a certain level of strength. Common applications include pneumatic and hydraulic systems, automotive components, and the aerospace industry.
- 5 Series: The 5 series aluminum extrusion materials have magnesium as their main alloying element, such as AA 5083, AA 5754, and AA 5456. These materials exhibit good weldability and corrosion resistance, while possessing medium strength. Common applications include ship structures, marine equipment, and automotive components.
- 6 Series: The 6 series aluminum extrusion materials have magnesium and silicon as their main alloying elements, such as AA 6061 and AA 6063. These materials have excellent formability, strength, and corrosion resistance, and are widely used in construction structures, transportation vehicles, electronic products, and household items.
- 8 Series: The 8 series aluminum extrusion materials have copper as their main alloying element, such as AA 8011 and AA 8090. These materials have excellent strength, corrosion resistance, and formability, and are commonly used in aerospace, military, and high-pressure container applications.
When selecting aluminum extrusion materials, the following factors are important to consider:
- Formability: Different materials have varying formability characteristics, including ease of cutting, milling, drilling, and welding. You need to ensure that the chosen material meets your processing requirements.
- Strength: Depending on the application's load and demands, selecting a material with sufficient strength is crucial. Certain series, such as the 6 series and 8 series, typically have higher strength.
- Corrosion Resistance: If your application operates in harsh environments such as seawater or chemically corrosive environments, corrosion resistance is a key factor. The 5 series and 8 series generally offer better corrosion resistance.
- Cost-effectiveness: Different series of aluminum extrusion materials may have cost variations. Find the most cost-effective choice based on your budget and project requirements.
The differences among these series lie in the alloy composition and performance characteristics. It is important to select the appropriate aluminum extrusion material based on specific application needs and material properties.
We are HICKWALL TECH CASTER INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. a company specializing in the manufacturing of aluminum extrusion accessories. Over the years, we have been committed to providing high-quality aluminum extrusion accessories and have established a good reputation and customer trust.
As a manufacturer, we have advanced production equipment and a skilled technical team. We adhere to strict quality control standards to ensure that every product meets our customers' requirements and specifications. Our professional team has extensive industry knowledge and experience, allowing us to provide customized solutions based on our customers' designs and requirements.
Our aluminum extrusion accessories are widely used in various industries, including construction, transportation, electronics, aerospace, and more. We work closely with our customers, providing comprehensive support and collaboration from the design phase to production and delivery.
Our core values lie in quality, innovation, and reliability. We continually strive for excellence and are dedicated to establishing long-term partnerships with our customers. If you are seeking a reliable supplier of high-quality aluminum extrusion accessories, we are the ideal choice for you.
Thank you for your interest in HICKWALL TECH CASTER INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. If you have any needs or questions regarding aluminum extrusion accessories, please feel free to contact us. We are here to assist you wholeheartedly.